Parklands Primary School receives a sports funding grant from the government to secure a significant and lasting legacy for the children until 2020. The aim is to develop an enjoyment of
sport and physical activity, and to promote a healthy lifestyle in children from an early age.
Eligible schools Funding for schools will be calculated by reference to the number of primary-aged pupils (between the ages of 5 and 11), as recorded in the annual schools census
This funding is ring-fenced and therefore can only be spent on the provision of P.E. and sport in schools.
Purpose of funding Schools must spend the additional funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Possible uses for the funding might include:
- hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work with primary teachers when teaching PE
supporting and engaging the least active children through new or additional Change4Life clubs
- paying for professional development opportunities for teachers in PE and sport providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE and sport
- running sport competitions, or increasing pupils’ participation in the School Games
- buying quality assured professional development modules or materials for PE and sport providing places for pupils on after school sports clubs and holiday clubs
- pooling the additional funding with that of other local schools.