What is the Multiplication Tables Check (MTC)?
The Multiplication Tables Check (MTC) is a key stage 2 assessment to be taken by pupils at the end of Year 4 in June. The purpose of the MTC is to make sure the times tables knowledge is at the expected level by the end of Year 4.
The MTC is an online test where the pupils are asked 25 questions on times tables up to the 12 times tables. For every question, the pupil has 6 seconds to answer the question. There is a 3 second rest between each question. Questions about the 6, 7, 8, 9 and 12 times tables come up more often. The questions are generated randomly each time so it is important that the pupils are confident at their tables for instant random recall.
Guidance for Parents
What you can do to help?
- Practice learning tables at home
– Practice singing song to learn tables
– Encourage your child to participate in Times Table Rock Stars
– Ensure that children are attending school every day
– Display a times table chart at home