At Parklands Primary School, our vision is to create a high-quality languages education which fosters pupils’ curiosity and deepens their understanding of the world. It enables pupils to express their opinions and beliefs in another language and to understand and respond in both written and verbal form. It allows pupils to communicate, read and explore different cultures, paving the way for learning further languages and equipping pupils to study and work in other countries.
The MFL curriculum that pupils learn at Parklands focuses on enabling children to make substantial progress in the chosen language: French. Teaching lays the foundations for further learning, providing opportunities to recall and build upon previous language knowledge and skills. It enables pupils to understand and communicate ideas, facts and feelings in speech and writing, focused on familiar and routine matters, using their knowledge of phonology, grammatical structures and vocabulary.
Pupils are taught to:
· listen attentively to spoken language and show understanding by joining in and responding
· explore the patterns and sounds of language through songs and rhymes and link the spelling, sound and meaning of words
· engage in conversations; ask and answer questions; express opinions and respond to those of others; seek clarification and help
· speak in sentences, using familiar vocabulary, phrases and basic language structures
· develop accurate pronunciation and intonation so that others understand when they are reading aloud or using familiar words and phrases
· present ideas and information orally to a range of audiences
· read carefully and show understanding of words, phrases and simple writing
· appreciate stories, songs, poems and rhymes in the language
· broaden their vocabulary and develop their ability to understand new words that are introduced into familiar written material, including through using a dictionary
· write phrases from memory, and adapt these to create new sentences, to express ideas clearly
· describe people, places, things and actions orally and in writing